Off Topic - Big Buff Crash

Ed White edvwhite at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 16:10:00 AKDT 2004

Thanks Peter, that's the video I was remembering.  You
can clearly see the spoiler on the right wing trying
to oppose the roll.  Another source for the video had
this note with it:

(A note regarding this awful video, provided by a
former B-52 pilot: "The B-52 in a steep turn at low
airspeed loses roll control, resulting in a natural
over-banking tendency.  The small rudder authority is
unable keep the nose from dropping, nor can it pick up
the lower wing.  B-52s do not have conventional
ailerons, but spoilers on the upper wing surface
similar to the MU-2.  The first flashes of light seen
prior to impact is the lower wing contacting high
power transmission lines in the area.")

Ed

--- Peter Pennisi <pentagon.systems at bigpond.com>

http://airside.paradise.net.nz/video/B52%20bomber%202.wmv