Hydrimax batteries

Chris Moon cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 31 09:20:59 AKST 2004

Just a heads up for those who are using Hydrimax NIMH batteries sold by
Tower.  I had one about 1 yr old that I removed from my plane prior to
the NATS and swapped it for a smaller pack to save a couple of ounces. I
charged it last night and was using it to set up a radio on the bench,
and was getting erratic on / off like it was not connecting well.  I
narrowed it down to the lead which was almost cut through by the hard
plastic shrink wrap that they use.  The place to look is right where the
lead comes off the battery.  The edge on the shrink wrap is very sharp
there, and the lead does not have very heavy wire.  After I found it, I
cut off the shrink wrap to check inside the wrapper.  The wires are held
down by cheap scotch tape, and they use a piece of masking tape to
insulate the positive tab from the battery case. I saw this and
immediately removed the pack that I was using in another plane.  Too
much money and work at risk to be counting on scotch tape and masking
tape for me.

Chris