automated judging heck, how about an automated avoidance system!

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Fri Oct 29 14:46:04 AKDT 2004

OK guys, this whole automated judging thing sounds cool, but if someone on
this list has the expertise to monitor telemetry data the first thing I'd
like to see is a warning system to help us avoid mid-airs. I've seen a dozen
planes destroyed in the last year in mid-airs (one was mine), and about
three more mid-airs where the pilots were able to save the planes.

If we had ground sensors or GPS sensors in our models that could predict
within a margin of error when two planes would be in the same zone at the
same time then we could sound a warning to let the pilots know to avoid
another aircraft. Obviously the most extreme system would take over control
of the plane and dodge the other plane, but that would be really
complicated. I think just having a system to give an audible warning when to
planes got too close would be quite useful.

Think about it this way. We fly in three dimensions, many times lines will
cross visually when the x (side to side) and y (top to bottom) axis are
crossed. However, if the z (distance) axis is not the same there is no
worry. The problem is that sometimes we think the z-axis is different when
it's not, or more often we simply don't notice the other plane at all, like
when model A is coming straight down and model B is flying horizontal.

If we had a system that could monitor the x, y and z-axis then that system
could sound a warning if two planes occupied the same zone at the same time.
The zone could be adjusted for size based on the desired safety margin. This
alone would be helpful, but to make things more useful if the system could
calculate future locations based on speed and heading then this would make
the system REALLY useful. I understand that headings change abruptly such as
90 degree pulls and therefore the system wouldn't be 100% accurate, but it
could certainly help a LOT. Also, providing a reasonable safety zone, like
20x20x10 meters, would mitigate the problems introduced by abrupt direction
changes.

As to the hardware, it would be ideal if this hardware were something that
could be moved from plane to plane between flights, that way each pilot
wouldn't need to own their own beacon. Perhaps a contest would have four
beacons and these beacons would be switched from model to model between
flights. The in flight and on-deck model in each line would have the beacon
and then the landing plane would switch with the next on-deck plane. Each
district could own two or three systems that would be shared between the
different contests.

I really don't think this system is that far fetched.

THEN: once the system is in place some industrious engineer can work on
integrating automated scoring into the same system!

Keith Black