judging

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Fri Oct 29 13:32:37 AKDT 2004

Dean:
I picked up on a point you touched on:  Seems as if some of the best
flyers are the most merciful judges.  Maybe a lot of reasons; perhaps
they remember how encouraging a good score was when they  themselves
were struggling.  Perhaps they are unconsciously trying to "grow" the
sport.  I'm not for one little second suggesting anything unethical
here; but your statement just mentions a point that has been stated by
some of the top flyers.  Interesting.  Conversely, some of the toughest
judging has been by pilots who have recently moved upward from one of
the lower classes.  Go figure!  Just goes to show that there is a wide
spectrum of abilities, etc.
Bill Glaze