Judge evaluation

Jeff H. Snider jeff at snider.com
Fri Oct 29 09:14:49 AKDT 2004

Several kinds of judging problems have been raised here in the past
day.  I have too many thoughts on the various subjects to usefully
put in one message, and I've been unduly prolix this week, so I'll
limit myself as much as possible.

In my opinion, we have (or really ought) to have some method of
ranking judges.  Two solutions present themselves to my overactive
mind, one computational and one personal.

Computationally: Collect all the scores from every round at every
contest and it's not difficult (using software written by math-minded
people) to see which judges consistently score the winners high
and losers low.  It's fuzzy at first, but after a year you get
fair results.  It's not a maneuver-by-maneuver comparison, but it
gives you an idea of which Sportsmen can judge well and which
Masters can't.

Collecting all the numbers, processing them, and turning the results
into some kind of meaningful individual rank as a judge is the part
that takes a strong corporate will.  Think we could get every CD
all year to email in the complete round-by-round results?  Make it
a requirement for event sanctioning, and it will happen (most of
the time).

I am not advocating that, just pointing out it's feasible if the
NSRCA really wanted to do it.

The more individual, personal method: Create a judge ranking system
and allow high ranked judges to move low ranked judges up the
hierarchy.  The best judges are classified as 1 (one), the next as
2 (two), etc., until the lowest judges, who can pass a basic written
test on the rules, are 10 (ten).  The present NSRCA judge ranking
system will pick the top guys, the 1s, 2s, and 3s, etc., and give
a rank to everyone in that system at Nats.

At contests, pair up a high judge and a low judge in each round.
After comparing the two sets of scores for an entire round, the
high judge can recommend advancing the low judge up a notch in the
scale, and talk to the lower judge about the scores, etc., in that
round.  After a certain number of recommendations have accumulated,
the lower judge's classification improves.  Some rules to govern
the system would be necessary, like a judge can't recommend someone's
advancement to his own level, and a high ranked judge's recommendation
counts for more than a low ranked one.  Also, everyone in the country
who doesn't have a rank assigned at Nats has their rank go down by
one after it's over, to keep the ever-improving ranks in check.

It's really just about having a good judge talk to a less good judge
after each round and help him improve, and tracking who is doing
well and who needs more practice.

I am hoping I can work on my own judging skills next season.  Maybe
over the winter we can swap RealFlight recordings of ourselves
flying our pattern, judge each other and talk about why we gave the
scores we did.

 - Jeff Snider
 - jeff at snider.com
 - Northern VA, NSRCA D2