Judge evaluation

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Oct 29 07:46:37 AKDT 2004

On Oct 29, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Dean Pappas wrote:

> here is no end of what can be said on the subject! Yes, some of the
> best judges I have known were either not competitors, and in some
> cases not pilots, either. Your assessment is right.
>
> If you look to Ron Van Putte's comments in the next (or one of the
> next) e-mails, he correctly points out the real problem in judge
> evaluation. The following statement is made with careful consideration
> of the context ... When it comes to individual issues, the consensus
> of a large panel of judges has often wrong! All of the judge
> evaluation techniques I have seen or heard of, suffer from this
> problem. That's right, not just sometimes, but often. By and large,
> the right guy wins. We can thank the meshing (convulution) of many
> bell-shaped curves for this good fortune.

Dean is obviously correct in observing that the consensus is not always
correct.  One judge catching a failure to snap, which is missed by the
rest of the judges, penalizes the good judge in a judge evaluation. The
good news is that, in the higher the levels of competition (Nats Finals
and F3A Team Selection contests, the quality of the judges is better
and their performance is more consistent.  As a result, a judge
evaluation at this level results in a better ranking of the top U.S.
judges.

Ron Van Putte