CD's

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Fri Oct 29 06:10:13 AKDT 2004

Buddy's note reminded me that this happens...too easily.  However, if we stop and think about it, for anyone to become a better judge, they have two things to do;
    1.  Study and understand the downgrades/rules/principles/sequences (not necessarily in that order)
    2.  Put that study to practice in an environment where learning can occur.

If we think about the way most contests are run, and the numbers we're dealing with, the Intermediate and Sportsman guys have no TIME to "observe", or "practice judge", and frequently, not even SCRIBE for other classes.

A possible solution is to split Masters and FAI on each line, and at least have those with less experience be in the mix to SEE what is going on...
    And to make it even MORE complicated - Sportsman and Intermediate pilots who don't have the benefit of flying with other classes don't get ANY "practice", either calling, watching, or coaching those more complex maneuvers, so when they get to contest day, how CAN they be comfortable and competent judges?

A tough issue.

Bob Pastorello
NSRCA 199  AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net