CD's

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 29 03:59:20 AKDT 2004

I have been at this for about ten years and I will never really be a good
contestant.
Here are a few of my observations:
Some of our best judges don't fly at all.
Many of our top flyers are poor judges, sometimes because they simply are
not interested in being a good judge.
Some people who know the rules cannot apply them fairly.
Most entry level pilots have enough to worry with their flying without
adding juding to the load.
When we do a local judging seminar the raw judging scores of the two judges
get a lot closer together.
The person presenting the Judging Seminar is not there to interrpret the
rules. His/her duty is to present the package and facilitate orderly
discussion.
An overly criticized judge will avoid conflict at the expense of accuracy.
All judges make mistakes. If judges were perfect we would only need one per
line.
Poor judges miss downgrades. Their scores tend to be higher.
A judge that downgrades items not documented in the rules is corrupt.
Judging is getting better all the time but it will never meet contestant
expectations.
Masters and FAI flyers are more comfortable judging each other.
The most important quality of a judge is his motivation to be a good judge.
You can do a pretty good job of judging even if you don't know the sequence.
You will miss the call when a wrong maneuver is flown.
A maneuver that takes longer to call than it does to fly is difficult to
judge fairly.
The rules are not clearly defined and the current process is not likely to
improve them.
The whole FAI game is out of our hands.

John Ferrell
My Competition is not my enemy!