CD's

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 14:45:23 AKDT 2004

What you suggest is not new, the "how to do it" part
is the problem. Most local contests are judged by 2
people. Trying to compare them to see which is
"better" is impossible because there is nothing to
compare them to. The NSRCA does have a judge
performance system in place, but it can only be used
where there is a large enough judging panel to come up
with an average to use as a reference to which the
individuals can be compared. The NATS Finals and the
Team Trials are about the only opportunity to rate
judge performance, and then only a relatively small
number of people get the opportunity judge at these
events.

The NSRCA does have a good judge training program in
place. Every district should offer one or more
certification events next year, do our best to attend
one.

--- "Jeff H. Snider" <jeff at snider.com> wrote:

> Coming from outside, I'm amazed we don't have a
> process for ranking
> judges in this sport.  It may be that a Sportsman
> has keen eyes and
> a good understanding of the rules, and can capably
> judge Masters,
> or even FAI, even though he doesn't yet have the
> skill to compete
> in Intermediate.  It may also be that a Masters
> pilot lacks the
> proper temperment or attention span and can't
> consistently judge
> an entire round of any class.
>
> Unfortunately we don't have any idea how accurate or
> consistent any
> one of us is.  I wonder if this is being or ever has
> been addressed.
>
> Lacking that information, it seems like the only
> thing we can do
> is to assume a pilot's class also gives a fair
> representation of
> his judging ability.  In situations where you have
> too few pilots
> in neighboring classes you have to reach further
> afield.  It seems
> obvious you can rely on some Sportsmen, but not all
> of them, to
> judge Intermediate pretty well.  But make sure you
> don't have two
> untested judges working the same round.
>
> In the end, the CD's judgement is all you have to
> work with.  If
> he looked at the sportsment present and knew none of
> them were ready
> to judge, perhaps the decision was for the better.
>
> 	-Jeff
>
> Mark Grabowski writes:
> > Well, I'm a complete pattern nobody BUT I know
> that as a novice or even
> > sportsman flyer I would feel very unqualified to
> fairly and adequately judge
> > an upper-level flyer. I'd probably want to scribe,
> listen and learn from the
> > "advanced" judges but certainly not want my
> unqualfied .02 cents worth of
> > scoring counted....FWIW
> > Mark Grabowski

Sportsman&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
> no
> >   judging</FONT></DIV>
> >   <DIV><FONT face=Arial

size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Intermediate&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

> >   Sports&nbsp;and Adv only</FONT></DIV>
> >   <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> >   <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This placed quite a
> burden on the upper class
> >   judges.</FONT></DIV>
> >   <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> >   <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Would appreciate
> comments regarding criteria.
> >   TIA</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
> >

> > <P><hr size=1></P>
> > <P><STRONG>
> > Confidentiality Note: The contents of this e-mail
> message and its
> > attachments, if any, are intended solely for the
> addressee(s) hereof. If
> > you are not the named addressee, or if you believe
> this message has been
> > addressed to you in error, you are requested not
> to read, disclose,
> > reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise
> use this information.
> > Delivery of this message to any person other than
> the intended recipient(s)
> > is not intended in any way to waive
> confidentiality. If you have received
> > this transmission in error, please alert the
> sender by reply e-mail. It is
> > also requested that you immediately delete this
> message and its
> > attachments, if any. Thank You.
> > </STRONG></P>
> > </BODY>