prop formula

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed Oct 20 13:04:20 AKDT 2004

Hi Jeff, Nat, and All,
When you say equivalent, that's not the whole story. You could be looking for equal thrust at the same RPM, but the horsepower absorbed will be different, for different diameter props! The most useful equivalent, for our purposes is for horsepower absorbed. That determines the RPM the engine will reach. That's what you did in MotoCalc, you held the power absorbed constant. Good approach.

I can attest that a two-bladed  17 X 13 is about the same load as a 3-bladed 15 3/4 X 11, is about the same load as an 18 X 10 2 blader, is about the same load as a 4-bladed 15 X 11. I have tried all these props,and they turn within a couple hundred RPM of each other. When Dave Lockhart and I received the very first batch of 15 3/4 X 13 three-bladers, and found them to be more load than was practical, he started pitching down, while I clipped and thinned the blades, while keeping the 13 pitch. The clipped 3-blader that turned the number I wanted was a 15 1/4" diameter. That's close to what is in your list, too! My benchmark was always a 17 X 13 two-blader.

As it turns out, the better direction was to pitch down, as that let the in-air RPM reach the 8,600 RPM neighborhood, which is right where the torque peak for the OS occurs, with pipe lengths that produce civilized throttle response. See the Model Airplane News review done by Mike Billinton, for that last bit. Torque and horsepower curves may be a pain to produce, but they sure are useful when it comes to optimizing what you get from an engine.

Oh yeah:

Thrust for a given pitch and blade shape is proportional to RPM^2 times Diameter^4
Power absorbed for a given pitch and blade shape is proportional to RPM^3 times Diameter^5
these come courtesy of some dead guy named Renard.

This stuff is fun, ain't it ...

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications