Suggestions for Sport Pattern 40 - 60 size plane

Paul Horan phoran at vvm.com
Wed Oct 20 08:18:57 AKDT 2004

George,
    Your description of the Javalin has me interested and I think I may very well buy one.
    My main problem is that I should have said a throw away plane rather than knock around.  The Twist definitely qualifies as as
throw away, maybe too much so.  I expect I will tire of it quickly.  BUT it would be OK for fun flies.  Actually I would prefer
something that locks on a little better but still in the throw away class of toy airplane.  Any ideas ?  Besides fun flies I would
use it when I am too busy instructing or helping others to mess with a actual pattern plane, this way I don't totally forget what
those sticks do.
    My pattern plane now is a Meridian with a YS 91 AC.  It flies well but is too heavy, landing are warp 7 or better, if I do slow
it down and there is a cross wind it gets nasty.  Speed it up a LITTLE with the cross wind and it is off the end of the runway.  It
is a lead sled.  The weight is also a problem on the half square half roll in Intermediate.  The answer is not more power but
another plane.  It was OK for Sportsman but will not cut it for Intermediate.
    This thread stresses serious practice, I expect the Javalin II or Excelleron 90 would satisfy serious practice and also be
satisfactory for contests, they may be better than the Meridian.
    One question of the Javalin, many of todays planes are set up for a 4 cycle.  When a 2 cycle is mounted they become tail heavy.
Did you have this type of problem ?

 Thanks,
Paul