webra 160 - meticulously clean

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Tue Oct 19 06:40:05 AKDT 2004

Hi Tony,

I hope you are doing well in Phoenix.  I purchased and used the Johnson
header that Central sells and used it at the 23.5" dimension.  The engine
ran perfectly on the ground, but did not idle down in flight, or for
landing, like the 160 I have on the MACs setup (24.25" to first baffle).
This header broke within less than 10 flights.  The pipe portion broke
cleanly off around the weld joint.  In a bind (right before the Apopka
contest), I went to a marine store and had them re-weld the header.  After
the repair, the header broke again (6 or so flights), but this time about
1.0" above the weld. I then ordered the MACs header as I have used
previously on 1.45s and one 160.  Central hobbies was very gracious and
replaced the Johnson header with a Hatori steel header, which at this
point I have not used.  The Hatori is shorter than the Johnson header.

Then, the old and much used MACs header I had on the Lazuite broke!  Good
thing I ordered two MACs headers.  At this point each MACs header has been
working fine.  Jim Ivey, Ken B., and I bent one of the MACs headers the
night before the Apopka contest in the hotel room by blocking the header
in certain positions and using a hammer ting it in place.  Actually, it
doesn't look that bad, fits perfectly, and definitely beats trying to use
a torch to heat up the header and then bend somehow (which we tried at
first).

Thanks,
Jim W.

"Tony Quist" <quist23 at cox.net>