Suggestions for Sport Pattern 40 - 60 size plane

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Mon Oct 18 09:30:54 AKDT 2004

Paul,
I have heard quite a few guys that bought the Venus and had less than a
rewarding experience with the finished product and can only deduce that there
must have been something awry in the set-up procedure employed. I have a Venus
that I have  flown quite a bit and can testify that when properly set-up it
can put a smile on your face that will move your ears back a couple of inches.
Mine is powered by a YS-53 and on 20% will do the FAI  sequence(with a litle
bit of a struggle on the Humpty with the snap on the up-line).It is as close
to neutral as any airplane in existance with zero pitch and roll coupling.Mine
seems to be well assembled and has lasted quite a long time(about 2&1/2 years
so far.  HOWEVER !!!, all that being said, there are better aircraft out there
in the same class for executing the sequences that we practice. I've been on
record here several times in the past extolling the attributes of the Javelin
II. The Javelin has coupling issues but they are not serious. What the Javelin
does have that the Venus is not as adept at is "in-flight pitch stability".
The long tail moment of the Javelin makes the aircraft track and groove in a
smoother fashion and powered by an OS-70 on 25% will do a much nicer job on
the afore-mentioned humpty with snap. I think it also has a little thinner
section making it a little less prone to bouncing around in the wind. It comes
with the wing already joined and the covering is marked with the C.G.
location, which just happens to be dead on the money.It could use another 1/8"
dihedral as there is a slight amount of adverse roll couple.There is also a
slight belly pitch, but with our current radios these anomolies can be easily
mixed out.
I fly my Javelin more than any of my other airplanes and when I lost my first
one due to a receiver antenna breaking off, I immediately ordered another
which flies exactly the same as the first.
Now, if you want to go larger, take a look at the Excelleron. It has zero
couple, a-la-Venus, but has better pitch stability like the Javelin. Just be
aware that your going to burn more fuel to keep it aloft, but yes, it does fly
quite well. I have a 120-FZ in mine and I can get through the Masters and FAI
sequences and do a little fooling around on 16 ounces.
Oh, an after-thought. If you are thinking Javelin and you fly off of a hot-top
runway, the stock L.G. will work O.K., but if you fly off of grass you will
have to bend up a set of gear legs a couple of inches longer and angle them
forward a bit to keep from nosing over on acceleration.
Good luck,
Georgie