Webra 160 XP - D3 Champs, Thanks

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Mon Oct 11 05:39:43 AKDT 2004

A quick note before I head to Sydney later today.

Thank you to Mac H., Emory, Brian, and Cathy for running a superb event
this weekend.  This was the first time I had met Brian and Cathy and both
exude class, friendlyness, and a welcoming spirit that will only help to
bring more pattern flyers into competition.  Emory and Brian also setup up
flight lines angled to the runway to avoid a devastating sun angle, should
we have flown in the runways primary direction.  Also, it was great to
meet everyone in D3 again, and some for the first time like Mike H., team
Aruba, etc.

In regards to the Webra 160, the real danger of this engine is that you
can over lean the entire range of the motor.  If you setup the mixture
(notice this is not the throttle curve) curve so that you have PERFECT
zippy throttle response on the ground, you will bake this engine and have
dead sticks.  Just because you "can" get a perfect zippy throttle response
on the ground, does not mean it is the best solution for in flight use. In
fact, just like non-MC carbs, you need to be on the rich side of things to
be safe, until the engine is broken in and you are entirely familiar with
its idiosycronsies.

Emory S. was running a Webra 160, as well as I.  After listening to
Emory's (both of us standing there), his was noted as running a tad richer
than mine through the entire range.  He did lean just a few points, but
was still on the rich side.  Mine is now turning a Mejslik (forgive the
spelling) 18x10, and the setup in my opinion is the most impressive glow
setup I've seen.  It is providing a presentation very similar to the
electrics, and still maintains tons of vertical power/speed after the
upline snap.  Others can chime in if they like that saw it and they may
disagree.  This is just my opinion.  This is the ticket for the way I want
to fly/present the FAI pattern.
The other setup thing I do is turn the pump screw in 2 turns, then mix out
with the carb.  The real display of proper setup of the Webra 160 is
inflight use.  Here are the signs (Jerry B., Dave L. Emory S.,, please add
too if needed):
1.  Does the engine idle down during the landing pattern?  Indicative of
overall lean/rich settings and pipe lengths.  The motor shold idle down
nicely at any time during the flight.
2.  During the flight, is there ANY hessitation, gasp for air, silent
spot, or pop?  If so, the mix points that correspond to the throttle stick
position are lean (no doubt).  Or you have not enough pump pressure, which
is why I start out by overpumping the engine and just mixing out.
3.  This motor does not need to be spitting, slobbering rich on takeoff,
but untill (everyone that has one) is very familiar with its
characteristics, please stay on the rich side, and resist the temptation
to get a perfect zippy response, until you have a number of flights on the
system.

Other than that, enjoy not placing your fingers next to a running engine
for tuning! vbg

Thanks,
Jim W.

"Ed Alt" <Ed_Alt at hotmail.com>