YS 91 FZ HELP PLEASE

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 04:22:01 AKDT 2004

There are many possible issues . . . . .

. . . .  but first, I don't think the valve cover
gasket is the problem on a 91FZ. The 140FZ and 140L
for sure, maybe the 140DZ and 120FZ also, use the
valve cover as a "airbox", the 91FZ still has an
airbox between the carb and the intake valve. You can
check for sure, if there are holes drilled around the
base of the intake valve spring, then the valve cover
is acting as an airbox.

The symptoms you describe point to a lean idle
setting. Assuming there is no air leak and this is the
first time the engine is being run, I would richen up
the low end needle to start. It is an airbleed type,
in is richer, out is leaner. The instructions call to
start at 1 1/2 turns out from closed. If the engine
speeds up at idle, turn the screw in in 1/4 turn
increments until you get it close, the 1/8 turns form
there. Always go to full throttle for a few seconds to
clear it out before checking this setting.

--- Dean & Melissa Williams <dmwilliams at bigpond.com>
wrote:

> Hi I am looking for some advice
> I have a new YS91FZ with a 14x10 apc prop using
> 20/20 fuel (i have also tried 15% nitro / 20%
> coolpower) with a cd header and pipe.
> The problem I have is that I seem to get the top end
> right 8600 rpm right and the transition right then
> when I try get the idle right I cannot seem to get
> it low enough 2800 rpm . once I take it below this
> and let it idle for 30 seconds or so the rpm picks
> up and then I cannot shut the motor off or throttle
> up with out working the throttle up and down into
> the transition.
> Have I got a leak somewhere I did back the throttle
> stop screw back out to try and get the throttle to
> completly shut but this did not work the idle droped
> down to 2100 rpm then it picks up and I have the
> above problem again that I can not shut the motor
> down and it will not idle up , no throttle responce.
>

> Please help me as I am in outback OZ and noone out
> here has any ideas.
>
> Ps what do you use to replace the rocker cover
> gasket , I read somewhere that they leak and can
> cause some problems?
>

> Thanking you
> Outbackdean (OZ)

=====