Kavan Starters

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 18:20:53 AKDT 2004

Personally I enjoy your reminiscing!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bill Glaze
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 5:44 PM
  Subject: Re: Kavan Starters

  Gray:
  Big difference was that the Merlin had a 2 stage blower that was controlled by an aneroid switch at altitude.  The Allison was a single stage blower, so it lost H.P. at altitudes above about 15K.  Same Allison engine was used in the P-38 as you have noted.  One can only wonder how the P-38 would have fared with the Merlin engine. It certainly would have been noteworthy.  After all, with a 52 ft. wingspan, it was as large as a medium bomber, but a whole lot faster.  Over all, a good airplane, after they solved the compressibility problem.

  Bill Glaze
  P.S. If anyone objects to this reminiscing, Gray and I will take it private.  Thanks.

  Gray E Fowler wrote:

    I have only read about it in books or seen it on the Hitler (History) Channel. Packard built cuz all RR were being put into Spits and the Allison lost HP at altitude, except in the P-38 whereas the used a supercharger to compensate. Right?

    Gray Fowler
    Principal Chemical Engineer
    Composites Engineering

         Bill Glaze <billglaze at triad.rr.com>