Kavan Starters

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 09:51:46 AKDT 2004

Jim,

Your starter probably needs new brushes.

It is likely that the brushes have gotten worn and are no longer making solid contact with the armature.  The "switch" on the Kavan is actually a cam type actuator that presses the brushes to the armature.  When the brushes get worn, the travel of the cam becomes insufficient and good contact is not made between the the brushes and armature.

I get new brushes from Max Blose at BP.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

Hi All,
After 3 full seasons, my Kavan battery powered starter was going down hill, and displaying less power, and less # of uses in between charges. It simply would no longer turn over my Webra 160. Thinking this was the sign of an overused Nicad pack, I purchased a new Nimh pack. Now with two charge/use/charge cycles, the 3 year old Kavan and new battery still will not turn over the 160. My flying parter has a new Kavan starter with new nicad pack, and his turns over my 160 no problem, as well as his DZ 160.

Is it possible that something in the actual starter has started to fail? Or, should I just wait untill the starter gets some more charge cycles on the battery pack? Anyone else experience this? It has been used quite a bit, and has been an excellent product.

Thanks,
Jim W.