ZDZ 40 RE, 60 plus oz of fuel now

brett terry brett.terry at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:25:37 AKST 2004

the gas engines, in my experience, swing large props.  The large props
provide great downline braking (I find myself carrying power in
downlines and on final approach), are consistant after break-in, and
are somewhat consistant on throttle setting.  I like to program in a
touch of expo on throttle.

I have flown with a 22" prop on that engine.  I had a hard time
landing as the plane would stop flying with the throttle pulled back
(380 in^2 parachute up front).

This really is a powerful engine in the lower RPM ranges.  Load it up
and it keeps chugging along.  I think the computerized ignition really
smooths it out.  The noise will drop as you decrease RPM of course.

The gas engines are either Very expensive (compared to the OS 1.60) or
quite reasonable (compared with YS 1.4 or electric and lithium power
packs).  Either way,  the process of experimentation is a truly
enjoyable experience.

Incidentally, Dick Hanson made a 2M plane a while back for the ZDZ 40.
 I think Bob Pastorello bought it from him.  There are a couple of
planes coming out soon for these gas engines.  What are you planning
to fly with this beast?

We need engine manufacturers to make an ultra-light 1.40 replacement,
with similar mass and equivalent power.  The 40cc gas is directly
comparable to the Moki 2.10 in power output.

Brett