ZDZ 40 RE, 60 plus oz of fuel now

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Tue Nov 30 09:28:27 AKST 2004

Thanks Brett and Vince,

I've had a number of off-line emails from folks expressing their interest
in a gas engine.  Heres my take on it what I'll get to find out through
experimentation.  What does a 4C glow have over a 2C glow?  It is
basically noted as having better downline breaking, no pipe issues, more
consistent throttle settings for a given throttle stick position wether
you are acceleratingor decellerating the engine.  What does the electric
setup have over a glow setup?  The most significant difference on the
geared setups is the ability to swing a 20+" prop.  Of course there are
other factors which I'm not going to get into, but to me, the most
significant difference is the large diameter prop and the overall speed
profile/presentation you get with it.

What does the ZDZ gas engine give us?  computer chip controlled timing,
larger prop blade profiles than the electrics, comprable vibration to the
glow setups, 2-cycle simplicity, no need to tune a pipe, seems to be close
to the battery/weight tradeoffs for the electric setups in terms of the
heavier gas engine.  Concerned about cost of glow fuel?

My main goal is to determine (since I have very little gas experience) if
the chip-controlled auto-advance timing combined with the huge prop blade
profile offers a throttle control and flight profile advantage to flying
FAI.  Thus far, the larger the prop I put on the Webra 160 and the slower
I can fly the FAI pattern, the easier it is to do consistently.

Regarding the noise, I've been running in the opening of my garage so it
seems loud as hell at full throttle.  I've waled a few meters away and at
idle, the windmilling of the prop and mechanical sounds of the motor are
more prevelant than the popping of combustion.

Thanks and keep passing on the experience.
Jim

brett terry <brett.terry at gmail.com>
Sent by: discussion-request at nsrca.org
11/30/2004 12:55 PM