ZDZ 40RE First nights run

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Wed Nov 24 07:42:46 AKST 2004

Hi All,

I had some fun running a ZDZ 40RE last night and I thought I would pass
along the information:  Setup.  New ZDZ 40 RE, included Falcon ignition,
APC IMAC 18x10 prop (waiting for Bambula larger props to arrive), header:
Webra, muffler:  D.H. can muffler from the ST2300 days, 93 Octane, Lawn
Boy Ashless 2C oil (non-syn) mixed 32:1.  Ingition battery, 4.8 volt Nimh.
 Three total runs, 5 minutes or so each, about 16 oz or less fuel used.
Needles set at factory recommendation each, 1.5 turns open.

Took 4 flips with low throttle set, choke closed, to get fuel to the
Walbro carb.  5th flip was a pop.  I opened choke, 5th flip engine was
running at idle speed.  The engine ran fine alternating between high and
low throttle, for about 5 minutes.  The engine only quit once I
discunnected the ignition battery.  At a reasonable idle, the engine just
ticked along.

I'll skip to the high lights.  For the third run I leaned both needles
about 1/4 turn.  Engine was cleanly running without obvious richness as
during ititial run.  The throttle response was as near instant
acceleration/deceleration as I've every heard from any gas/glow engine.
Playing with the throttle pushrod, you can rev the throttle quickly, and
as fast as you can move the throttle arm the engines rpms keeps up (rear
induction rotary thing).  My impression was that the engine was
runnig/sounding like a highly tuned 2-cycle motorcross bike you would see
in a stadium racetrack!  This IS NOT A WEED-WACKER
ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Later today I plan to run wth AL 140 sized
tuned pipe.  It was interesting to watch as no visible exhaust reside
exits the muffler, where obviously before with a glow engine you see a
huge wave of exhaust coming out.  I've also watched a DA 50 run, and this
ZDZ left me with a totally different opinion of gas engine throttle
response.  (again, we'll see after a few more runs and some air trials).

Of course, one nights good running does not a good engine make.  I'll
continue to investigate at least 2 gallons before installing in a plane.
Thus far, the engine starts easily, can be turned over by my new starter
(originally bought to handle the Webra 160), idles well, transisitions
incredibly fast, and at least last night, left me with the impression that
this small gas engine ran like a 2-cycle supercross engine!

Overall impressions, the look takes a little getting used to, I added a
longer throttle arm to the carb, and the choke arm comes off at a wierd
angle.  Supplied hardware seem OK and the timing is VERY EASY to find TDC
and set.

Vibration:  What vibration?  Running at idle, I placed my finger on the
motor and there was hardly any vibration to take note of.  I've had my own
glow setups have periods of extreme vibration, where this exhibited nearly
none.  The new Falkon ignition setup now supplied is supposed to have
reduced vibration, and from my perspective has obviously done so.  Of
course, the engine was essentially mounted to a large box so the mass of
the box was much higher than the mass of the engine.

Anyway - trying to enjoy the hobby,

Jim W.

James Woodward
Program Manager
B/E Aerospace Business Jet Group - Miami
9100 N.W. 105th Circle
Miami, FL 33178
(305) 459-7155  Office
(305) 459-7185  Fax