Fw: Electrics and how viable.?.. Del klipped 4 reposting

Del Rykert drykert at localnet.com
Tue Nov 23 15:38:41 AKST 2004

Georgie, Jim and any others I may have missed....

    My issue is if it is such a viable system for the average modeler then
how come the great questions that were asked on the list weren't addressed?
     Another..  I remember very well how many claimed you could still fly 60
size planes competitively after the 2m box was created and 120 size 4 cycles
were allowed.  Both of these changes changed the dynamics of the playing
field.  Electrics with technology has the capability for the same effect..
At the extreme maneuvers could be created that only electrics could perform.
I am not claiming that will occur.  Just pointing out what the electric
potential is.
    As for drawing new blood to the sport I don't visit flying fields all
over the country to know if they are many AMA fliers that are flying large
size electrics that they could enter and be realistically competitive in
even the lower classes.  If the even was moved indoors then that again
changes the playing field but would allow all kind of small electric to
compete. I am not advocating such a move.
    With the ugly side of sponsorship it does give some a distinct advantage
with the technology that is not available to the masses at a reasonable
price.
    Yes all you points about the advantages of electrics are real George.
But I for one would not choose to keep both glow and electric in my hanger.
The logistics of such an undertaking is to much for me personally.
    For some to claim that electric isn't going to change pattern is
foolish.. Just look at the maneuvers that are created for new schedules that
dictate you must get a comparable competitive aircraft if you are going to
fly in that class.  How many are allowed to move back because of inadequate
equipment?
    I will get off my soapbox for now. I am only asking for the rest of the
answers to real questions that to me appear to either being ignored by those
in the know or it paints a big black eye for electrics and they don't want
to show the ugly side of it.

                         del
               NSRCA - 473