Measuring Surface Flatness (was "Cabinet Grade Particle Board")

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Fri Nov 19 16:00:30 AKST 2004

Measuring Surface Flatness (was "Cabinet Grade Particle Board")Mark,
A good way to measure flatness / trueness (is that a word?) is the "winding
stick" method:

Take two perfectly straight bars or rods, each painted lightly on one edge -
one white, one black. Lay them on your bench with the colored edges facing
you and sight from a distance. You should see one color only at first, then
the other color should appear evenly as you stand up slowly. If you see it
more on one end, that is the "high" side. This will show you any twist. To
check overall "flatness" you can use a long straight edge or the string
method. My bench is 8' x 27" and this method works for me.

As far as 2x4's being "overkill" for the bench frame - well yes, maybe they
are but it's kind of like having too much money or too much horsepower...

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com