education

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Tue Nov 16 08:45:33 AKST 2004

I gotta say!.............. a really big thank you to everyone that
contributed to my understanding of how the nitty gritty bits and
pieces of Nats organization and execution is accomplished. Tony,
Dave L., and RVP  all sent me extensive detail regarding areas where
I was totally in the dark and I have to say that I think I learned
more in those posts than I have learned in the last 5 years and I'm
grateful!
I also received some additional posts offline from some individuals
who expressed concern and disatisfaction with the system as
presently implemented which also gave me special insight into the
mindset of these concerned guys.
My final conclusion is that no matter what system is utilized there
is always going to be someone who can develop a scenario to prove
why it either won't work or spreadsheets to illuminate it's
shortcomings.There probably IS no perfect system, but I think that
the current system could be tweeked a little, like add the
rotational seeding component and a little more random application of
the 1 to 8 seeding numbers which, I think, would go a long way
toward removing some of the currently perceived inequities. I also
feel that the bottom line still is that if you want to win you have
to fly better than everyone else. Think about a guy like Jason who
came into the program in the last Nats basically unseeded and yet
irrespective of what group he was placed in He ultimately overcame
by flying well enough to be victorious. It seems to me that many of
the stated objections by individuals expressing their discontent
with their placing end up being manipulative efforts to improve
their placement by default. Ya gotta perform guys!! Like somebody
said, "Just DO it"!
Not trying to ruffle any feathers here guys, just rendering and
opinion.
Georgie