3-bladed props for OS160FX

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 18:40:23 AKST 2004

Bill,

I think quite slim.

I've known Fred Burgdorf at APC since he started making props.  I'm not
privvy to exact production costs or sales volumes, but the production costs
for the molds on a 3 blader are much higher than an equivalent load 2 blade.
And I believe the sales volume of the pattern sized 3 and 4 blade props is
probably below or maybe at investment cost.  I'd guess the average 3 or 4
blade pattern APC prop has sold on the order of 200 copies - while props
like the 17-12 and 16.5-12W have sold on the order of thousands - that does
not lend to a money making scenario for any additional 3/4 blade pattern
props.  I know Fred would rather "mimic" a given 3 blade with a super wide
blade 2 blade prop (because of production costs) than make another 3 blade
prop.  I believe all of the APC molds are CNC milled solid aluminum blocks -
you can imagine how much larger the mold for a 3 blade is compared to a 2
blade, and aside from the simple size difference, I believe maintaining the
integrity of the mold and the injection process becomes more difficult as
well (I'd guess someone on this list might have more insight than this
Environmental Consultant).

If enough requests to apcprop.com were made, maybe another prop would make
it to production - I'd be happy to provide the prop for the mold <G>.

Regards,

Dave