Warning to Masters Pilots

brianyemail-nsrca at yahoo.com brianyemail-nsrca at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 06:45:54 AKST 2004

Arch, well put.

My problem so far in this maneuver has been making the upside resemble a loop, the snap ends up nose high.

Archie Stafford <astafford at 3states.net> wrote:
This really is not that much tougher than any other maneuver. With the
breaking available today with the large fuselages. When you exit the half
loop with 2/4 if you come off the power and slow way down, much the same way
you would for a spin, except don't stall. You will not have that much
forward speed. With the amount of power available today with these planes.
I can't see there being much more force on the wing tube, than an Advanced
flyer taking a 1.40DZ on a light pattern plane wide open into the top of a
normal avalanche. I saw the FAI guys do this maneuver last year, and done
well it is a very pretty maneuver and the snaps really are not that violent
at the bottom. I don't think maneuver is anywhere near as violent as the 2
downline negative snaps, FAI did a few years ago. This is a maneuver that
will require excellent speed management, but when done well is a very pretty
maneuver. I think every year there is a rule change. There is one maneuver
that at first seems to be very difficult. On the last rules cycle, very few
people were hitting the 1 1/2 snap on the 45 downline (a maneuver I wish
they had left in this time instead of the 1 positive snap), but last year at
the nats. Almost everyone was hitting the 1 1/2 snap after flying it for a
length of time.

Arch