Warning to Masters Pilots.

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Mon Nov 15 05:40:18 AKST 2004

Hi All,

After watching and flying the new Masters pattern a few times, I do not
think it is setup to fly close in.  The upwind turnaround maneuvers, which
precede the rolling segments, will not allow you to fly the pattern close.
 Unless you are 250 meters to begin with, bringing "in" the upwind
cross-box turnarounds (top hat & humpty bump) are unthinkable.  Even if
you have room to bring them in, you would not have room to complete the
1/4, 1/2, 1/4 roll, or reverse knife edge.  This bucks efforts to get
flyers to fly between 150-175 meters.  In order to fly it close, you would
need to fly slow, very tight radii, and very short line lengths between
upwind turnaround maneuvers and rolling maneuvers.  If not done near
perfectly, you are left with the impression of a rushed-flight.  I think
instead, most Masters flyers will fly at a farther distance to start with,
and then get farther out due to the upwind turnaround maneuvers to make
room for the rolling maneuvers.

I think the difficulty/challenge of this Masters pattern will be for the
pilot to fly the slower speed envelope and small maneuver size to keep the
entire maneuver set in the box, and not so far out as to warrant
downgrades.  It will be all to easy to begin the high-k-factor rolling
maneuvers with an 8, due to being too far out.  Presentation and
positioning of the maneuver set is going to be the biggest challenge,
rather than individual maneuvers.
Thanks,
Jim W.

Bob Richards <bob at toprudder.com>