question regarding building balsa wood plane ?

shih mike hcshih8 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 16:46:18 AKST 2004

Thanks guys !!

My basement is really humid in summer (I live in Michigan).  I do have a dehumidifier and it was set up to 50% most of the time except in winter.  I started using it after experiencing wood warp and buckle during the last project.  the balsa stick bend to different side before and after using the dehumidifier.  As you said, the wood has less problem after put them together.  I am thinking leave the wood in the basement with the dehumidifier turned on for a awhile and start building later.  My next and 1st 2m size plane project might take me up to 2 years ( I am expecting my 2nd baby next year)  to finish.   That is why I am concerning about this problem.  I hope I can have "a room" for building plane except for the basement...

Regards,

Mike Shih

Dean Pappas <d.pappas at kodeos.com> wrote:
Hello Mike,
Humidity is a problem, and your dehumidifier is a good idea.
You should only need to keep the relative humidity under about 50%, generally.
An unsupported sheet of wood may buckle, and this is generally a sign that the wood was sawed into sheets before it was properly dried, or cut skewed to the grain of the log.
The situation gets better when the airplane is built, but I have had an airplane change trim after flying half a flight in rainy conditionns at a major contest.
Three weeks of Summer heat restored the plane's original trim.
Since then, I have not honeycombed my foam wings.
I had no such problem with an earlier, non-honeycombed, plane that I flew in heavy rain, at the '89 Team trials in Pensacola.

How humid is your basement? You may need that dehumidifier.

Regards,

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications