Plane type

Xavier Mouraux xavier.mouraux at sympatico.ca
Sat May 29 16:59:46 AKDT 2004

I am trying to decide which of my plane will be my primary this year. I have an Alliance/140L/15x12W/25% and a Hydeout/160FX/17x13/15%. Both are just under 10 lbs.
After practicing a few weeks with the Hydeout to start the season, I took the Alliance out also to see which one feels better for me. I have now 30 flights with each one this year and I am still struggling with the Alliance. I can't get nice straight lines (horizontal or vertical), the rolls on 45 are not straight and the snaps aren't nice. When I fly the Hydeout, everything is a lot better.
The CG of the Alliance is already moved aft of the instructions but I still need a lot of elevator for inverted flight. I tried more aft but it didn't fix it and I am now thinking about moving even more aft. The plane is very stable at low speed and the rudder as a lot of authority. It easily loop in knife edge. The elevator and ailerons also work very well. I tried a 15.5x13N and a 16x10 without improvement except for better vertical with the 16x10.
The Hydeout is more powerful and easily makes big maneuvers. The roll rate going up or down looks very similar so I am assuming that the speeds are similar too. The rolls on 45 are better.
I fly the P05 in approximately the same time (around 8 min) with both airplanes but with some maneuvers bigger with the Hydeout.
Could it be that I fly the Alliance too slow ?
Should I move the CG more aft and how far back could I move without trouble ?
Any other ideas to help me taking the better decision ?

Thanks

Xavier