OS160FX crankshaft

Karl G. Mueller kgamueller at rogers.com
Mon May 17 17:27:09 AKDT 2004

Xavier,

Haven't seen one break on the 160. This used to be a problem in the
old .60 FSR. We also used to break the crankpins on those. This could
be from an inconsistency in the heat treating process, were one batch
would have a slightly higher Rockwell-Hardness number than the norm.
The inlet opening is the weakest point on the crankshaft and that is usually
one of the first places it will break, or the crank pin. If the engine has
been back-firing a lot in the starting process that might cause this type
of fracture as well.

Karl G. Mueller
kgamueller at rogers.com