[SPAM] RE: Back to a two-year rules cycle and judging certification

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed May 12 08:05:52 AKDT 2004

Hi Tony and Bob,
Let me add something here ... a judging training philosophical; issue.
A judging training session is often thought of as a chance for a group of people to go through the maneuver descriptions and downgrades together. That's a good thing to do, but if that's the whole point of a training seminar, then we waste everyone's travel time, and you know how far that can be, sometimes. We can all read the maneuver descriptions and the judges' guide at home, even though we can always use a get-together as an pleasant excuse to do our studying homework.

The valuable opportunity at a judging seminar is to more figure out how to judge, than what to judge. How to learn to look for the mythical spin/snap break; or how to come up with a system that works for you to count-up the downgrades so that you don't loose track and start scoring by impression; how to put a value on just how much a certain amount of out-of-roundness on a loop is worth; and then the list of downgrades makes sense.

So my take on this is to teach as little of the WHAT as I can get away with, tell people that they are never really done reading the rule book, and then spend as much time talking about HOW to judge as time will allow. The biggest help here has always been the handful of good experienced judges in the crowd, who are available to share their ideas and techniques with the neophytes. Different things work for different people: some count on their fingers, others in their heads, and yet others keep a running description of boo-boos and then total up. If you don't have a system that works for you, then the best thing a seminar can give you is things to try.

Once you know HOW, WHAT is just a matter of rerading the new rule book, and finding out what the intent was on unclear maneuver descriptions (not like there are any of those!) as has been happening on this forum. At any one seminar, it is unlikely that someone can give you a definitive clarification unless the answer has already descendeed from the appropriate rules body.

Just my two cents,
    Dean