Idle question

Paul Horan phoran at vvm.com
Tue May 11 20:17:35 AKDT 2004

    My question about idle: is it reasonable to expect a relatively constant idle (say 2000 -2200) throughout the flight (takeoff to
landing) ?  My opinion is that this should be so but if the engine - servo - mixture have Not been set well enough problems will
result.
    I typically am able to set my idle so that it is reliable and the plane will not move when placed on the runway - BUT - when
landing time comes and I drop back to idle, it is too fast for a decent landing.  I may need 6 - 10 clicks of throttle trim to get
it in the ballpark.
    Am I expecting too much ?  Is this a common problem that some people have found the answer to ?  The particular engines are a YS
91 AC and an OS 91 FX - similar problems with both 2 and 4 cycle engines.
TIA
Paul Horan
KC5NF
AMA 57131