Charging concerns/questions with NMP Lithium Ion batteries

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Mon May 10 08:33:35 AKDT 2004

I'm guessing that you don't really know if there is a bigger problem in the R/C industry vs. other applications.  There hasn't been in my neck of the woods.  There will be when we start powering our models with them, but I don't believe operating our R/C systems with Li-Ion poses a high risk.
I do believe that the company that has given Lithiums a bad reputation is the one that added the charge circuitry in the packs and it was the implementation (not the concept) of that circuitry that caused the problems.  I assume it has been corrected.  I also believe that it takes some level of learning to avoid accidents but that is not unusual for modelers.  There are many dangers in our hobby.  So If someone doesn't feel up to the learning process, stick with what you know.
Jim