Charging concerns/questions with NMP Lithium Ion batteries

cameron dentdoc007 at bellsouth.net
Mon May 10 02:47:54 AKDT 2004

Your pretty close with this one Kieth!
  Just beware of the "Glossy ADs"

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-request at nsrca.org [mailto:discussion-request at nsrca.org]
On Behalf Of Keith Black
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 12:19 AM
To: discussion at nsrca.org
Subject: Re: Charging concerns/questions with NMP Lithium Ion batteries

I have no inside knowledge to answer to your question, but I'll just
venture a guess... Answer: R&D and QA budget.

Companies who sell laptops, PDA's, cell phones, etc. are typically huge
companies with enormous R&D departments. Their entire business is
inventing new technologies. Part of their product requirements for
mobile devices are power systems that will support the product x hours,
weight less than y amount, etc. etc.... AND NOT CATCH ON FIRE! Sure, all
companies will put out defective devices periodically, but they have an
intensive development and Quality Assurance process that attempts to
eliminate all problems, especially user injury. They also have
warehouses of lawyers telling them they better not kill anyone!

Disclaimer: The following is a fictional account that I just made up out
of thin air. (but I bet I'm pretty close)

The RC industry is much easier to break into for smaller players than
the big industries listed above. Some of these players innovate with new
ideas, designs, etc., but many are just savvy businessmen that see the
opportunity to create a business by repackaging and reselling existing
technology. I'm not knocking savvy businessmen that repackage and
resell, many millionaires have been created from doing this in many many
industries and it takes a special person to see the opportunity and
execute an idea to make a business successful. I respect this ability.

However, in the case of the RC battery industry it's led to products
being released that are unsafe due to virtually no R&D or QA process.
Think about how we got here, there were numerous individuals that saw
how ridiculously expensive NiCad and NiMH battery packs were and
realized they could get raw cells for a fraction of the cost. Why not
buy some, solder them together and make a business out of it? Numerous
business minded hobbyist did and ended up creating companies that
specialize in selling these packs, no harm done.

Selling NiCads and NiMH will generate a few extra bucks, but it's not
exactly a home run. The big win in business is being an early adopter of
new technology and becoming the leading name brand. Enter the new
lithium technology. Some very savvy business guys clearly saw this new
technology and figured they could build a business (or grow an existing
business) by offering the new miracle battery, so they did just as the
NiCad and NiMH guys did, gather information on the cells from the
manufactures, do a little testing, solder cells together and sell them.
The only problem is, these powerful cells also create powerful fires.

End of fictional account.

Today there are some RC battery manufactures that are offering circuitry
to prevent overload induced fires, this is a great thing and hopefully
will eventually make lithium batteries as safe for RC use as they are
for the laptop I'm using to type this email. Others companies selling to
the RC industry still have no safeguards.

Are the safeguards used RC manufactures as thorough as those used by the
main-stream industries? I don't know, but I wish I did.  Are their
testing procedures as rigorous as the big companies? I don't know.  Is
the budget for safety as extensive? Is the brain power working on safety
in RC applications equivalent?

These are all questions that I certainly can't answer, but for our sake
I'd hope the answer to all will eventually be yes.

I'm sure I've pissed at least someone off with this email, that's not my
intention. This is just my "wild" guess as to why we're where we are.

Keith Black