Is Sponsorship a bad thing?

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Sat May 8 07:30:14 AKDT 2004

MessageAs the saying goes, "It depends on whose Ox gets gored".

Safety related issues are a tough call. To me, your experience is more than enough to cause me to retreat from the risk. Our world is a whole lot less than perfect or you would have been at least partially compensated for the losses you incurred.

In spite of that, there seem to be a lot of folks that choose to not believe your disaster happened. They are continuing on their merry way. I don't think the sponsorship scenario can be trusted in the area of safety. Obviously, the justice system is not much help either. Other than recognizing safety risks yourself, about all you can do is hope the guys you fly with can be of some help. Sadly, most of us are reluctant to hear those warnings until we have a close call or worse.

The lithium technology does not hold much interest for me. Even without the risk factor I find the cost/performance ratio to be marginal. I do appreciate that others are saving me the costs and risks by checking it out. From what I am hearing I expect to hear of a spectacular crash (or even a mid-air) involving smoke & fire. Just what happens when some antisocial nut uses one in a detonator is anybodies guess. Since the properly used technology is so useful there have become so many in our part of the world that outlawing them is not really possible. Most Pattern contestants carry their airplanes to their motel rooms to overnight charge them at contests...

When Tadiran(sp?) refused to build more of them, I did a little web research and discovered that they are serious business folks. They had their reasons....

Do you suppose that the AMA would have just banned them if they were not afraid of lawsuits from the industry?

I doubt anyone takes a flyer like me too serious. I am still flying YS engines (in spite of the SC), Prophecies and a Focus. They work for me.

I cannot fault those who choose to continue down the Lithium path, eventually they will probably work it out.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US