Fw: Parallel charging

JOddino JOddino at socal.rr.com
Sat May 8 07:10:09 AKDT 2004

A warning to all:
Here is a real potential problem.  We are talking about NiCd and NiMH charging.  Recently two guys have burned up packs in their planes. I get called because they think it was caused by my switch harnesses.  I got suspicious when I found out both were using parallel packs and switch harnesses.  I remember when Chip Hyde first started using the original Duralites in parallel he found he could not charge both at the same time if they were both plugged into the receiver.  We found it was due to the sensing resistors in the return wires from the batteries being charged, being short circuited by the connection in the receiver.  This confuses the charger.  I wasn't sure if the Schulze and the other sophisticated chargers used low side current sensing so I asked.  I didn't get a perfectly clear answer but you can see the German approach.
If you don't know if your charger has this potential problem don't charge simultaneously unless you unplug one from the receiver.
For those of you following the discussion of the NMP Li-Ion charger, it does not have low side current sensing, it has a meter in the high side, and it is perfectly okay to charge in parallel simultaneously in the plane.
Jim