Construction of one piece wings

Nedim Bek nedim at nbengineering.net
Tue May 4 18:00:16 AKDT 2004

Peter,

I am building single piece foam wings for more than 20 years. I am
fabricating a single piece wing 2m pattern kit as well.
I recommend using 3/4 lbs/cu.ft. virgin foam for cutting the cores and
selected contest quality 1/16 balsa for the skins. I am using laminating
epoxy to glue the skin. Polyurethane adhesive is equally good but needs
more time to wait before removing from the press, otherwise the panels
may get warped. Use a playing card to spread the glue.
With the above materials and technique the end product will be just
under 2 lbs. includingh glassing, two 9150 servos, linkages and
Ultracote covering. If you are targeting less than that you may apply
honeycombing to the cores. This may save you a couple of ounces at
least.
I glass the center section with two layers of 2 oz. fiberglass cloth,
first layer 4 inches wide and second 10 inches. Remove all the excess
epoxy with a playing card. After the lay up is cured sand smooth and
apply NHP balsa coloured micro fill thinned with water to fill the
texture of the fiberglass cloth.
Hope this helps.

Nedim

NBE Precision Aerobatics