Webra SS rear bearing

Jerry Budd jbudd at QNET.COM
Mon May 3 02:42:34 AKDT 2004

Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow response, things have been quite hectic around
here lately (re: my eMail about moving to KSC).

I have only had one bearing problem and it was similar to what Keith
described below with respect to the rear bearing getting loose
radially.  In my case the bearing in my 145 didn't fail outright but
some aluminum from the case just in front of the rear bearing rubbed
off and went through the motor and wiped out the piston/sleeve.  It
was deceiving in that the bearing didn't feel rough or anything but
it did start to develop some slop radially which allowed the
crankshaft to contact the case (it's a pretty tight tolerance in that
location).  I asked my friend Stefan Fink in Germany about it and he
said that it happened to him once too and that he had simply gone too
long between bearing changes.  He said that he changes the rear
bearing out once in the middle of the season and then again at the
end of the season (about every 300 flights by his account).  He said
that the one that "got loose" on him had well over 400 flights on it.
Stefan is a 5 time German F3A National Champion, and while he's
recently retired from competition, he does all of the factory testing
for Webra.  My point is that he know's the motors inside and out,
having tested them extensively for some time before we ever see or
hear about them (case in point Stefan was running a prototype Webra
160 AAR with MC carb at the 1999 World Championships in Pensacola,
FL, 3+ years before it was released to the public last year).

As for me, I'm pretty hard on my motors as I'm generally only able to
fly on weekends, and then usually only three or four flights per
session.  I do run the motor dry most of the time, but I don't use
any after run oil (never have).  Living in the Mojave Desert may be a
factor (~12% humidity in the summer, 30-50% in the winter) but things
do rust around here, given enough time.  Also, I run the 160 pretty
hard, using Magnum #1 since the first flights on it last Memorial Day
weekend.  I just started running Magnum 15% last weekend for no other
reason but to see how much difference in performance there was (the
answer is slightly less, but still way more power than just about
anything else around - Tony Frackowiak's ePartner the one exception.
Tony and I both agreed at the field today that with #1 I've got just
a bit more Mo than he does, and with 15% I've got just a smidge
less).  I have had no bearing problems with the 160, however I did
change the original rear bearing last fall as preventative
maintenance (the bearing was nearly perfect with just a slight
discoloration on the back edge of the outer race).  I will probably
change the bearings again before the Nats just to be safe, especially
since it's so easy to do and the bearings are so cheap.

My experience with the OS140 wasn't as good, although it wasn't as
bad as some stories I've heard either (hey to Verne!).  Frackowiak
flew the OS61's extensively back in the "good old days" (hey to
RVP!), and his recollection is that the OS's have pretty much always
had bearing issues (he thinks it's some sort of metallurgy problem
with the aluminum alloy they use in their motors).  I ran OS and
Webra 61's throughout the 80's and they all had bearing problems of
one kind or another.  The solution on the Webra's was to use the
MRC/TRW-1903SFF sealed steel bearing with stainless steel retainer as
the tabs on the stock brass retainer tended to come off and wipe out
the sleeve (remember those days Dave Harmon?).

Anyway, there's my response.

Thx, Jerry

--
Jerry Budd