YS Engines

Del K. Rykert drykert at localnet.com
Tue Mar 30 05:17:38 AKST 2004

  I agree with everything you stated Buddy but wonder what are the ones to do that don't have local expertise to draw from supposed to do? An engine to perform well should not need re-work and rebuilds as often as my YS engines have had. The instructions that come with the engines when, there are any, aren't much help. The cost of all those parts adds up quickly. Case in point. My first YS 120ac was purchased after a rebuild. I flew it assuming everything was working correctly and after 3 months and at 3rd contest had a Canadian friend mention my engine didn't sound right. My reply was how can you tell. I have hearing loss from Nam. It tacked at 8200 on  believe a 15x12 on 15% powermaster. Was told that was ball park. Pulling head cover friend found the e clip was missing and rocker was floating back and forth. $150.00 later and fixed damaged to engine and it ran like pussycat and turned 8500 with needle a tad rich. How do us struggling by ourselves deal with engines that are that difficult unless we are also a gear head. I don't have the means to have the golden 3 rule when using YS's to have one in the plane, one as backup and one getting repaired. That is what many of my friends had gone to while using YS's.

                           del
                 NSRCA - 473