YS Engines

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 29 06:51:47 AKST 2004

It's been my experience locally that it is simply a price issue, followed closely by the learning curve. Sport flyers at my local field are always impressed at how my 2C and 4C YS engines perform and how quiet they are. I get the question "what engine is in that plane"? all the time. They seem interested until they find out that I paid $140 or $150 for a .45 displacement engine. Never mind that I rarely have dead stick landings and spend little time at the field tuning and retuning my engine. To them YS is an exotic brand made only for serious competitors, that notion is reinforced by their higher price, common rear exhaust configuration and regular use of tuned pipes. The sport flyers here in the Cleveland Ohio area fly a lot of Thunder Tiger because they basically do what they need to do with out the extra expense. Bolt it on, slap a muffler on it, and go. No check valves, no tuned pipes, no break in, no soft mounts, no problem. Guys that consider themselves a cut above will
 actually spring for an OS but few are willing to pay the YS cost premium to be able to locate their tank two feet from the engine, or get snap throttle response after a 500 foot downline. In 4 strokes I see a lot of Saito engines. They solve the power issue by just getting a bigger engine. They will put a 150 or 180 on a 120 sized plane and still come out cheaper than a good YS and can run a cheaper prop. You can't tell them that their Saito doesn't make good power because their 180 will take their 12 pound big stik vertical out of the box (duh). Bottom line, pattern is demanding on an engine and YS meets and exceeds that demand but at a cost. The masses of pilots are not willing to spend 30% to 50% more for features they don't need to have to fly their cub, or their sky tiger. I've seen guys take off with an engine that they have to advance slowly to keep from stalling. They load up, transition poorly, won't idle reliable below a certain RPM range, and produce just adequate power.
 But they are simple and cheap.

What works for Sunday flying will not work in competition. That's like saying why don't all production cars have superchargers? It is just not necessary and too expensive. We demand performance and are willing to pay for it.

As previously stated, YS doesn't make an engine with adequate displacement for the IMAC style of planes. I still have my fingers crossed that they will produce a rear exhaust front intake 140 or 160 two stroke.

Sorry to be so long winded
Anthony

"Henderson,Eric" <Eric.Henderson at gartner.com> wrote:
To answer the question. "Ok, time for another newbie question: it seems to me from the discussion and contest results and a few copies of the K factor that Kane gave me at the D4 contest last year that pattern pilots prefer YS engines, yet YS engines don't seem to dominate in other kinds of flying(IMAC, scale, fun fly, etc). Um, why?

>   Ed Hernandez "

basically:-
1. YS engines are too small for IMAC and teasingly so too quiet :-)
2. Fun Fly's are not a 1.40 type event if you are talking wild tasks?
3. Scale is not an engine power event.

Regards,

Eric.

Message to Ed Hartley - I can't seem to stop these mail loops. I get bunches of reject messages and b=never see my own posts. I will unsubscribe accordingly.