YS Engines

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Sun Mar 28 19:16:34 AKST 2004

Yamada the company that makes YS motors is dedicated to the support of F3A (pattern on the international scene).

The main reason YS motors dominate is because of their performance. The problem is there are limited sizes of motors....The YS 160DZ is now the biggest motor produced. It can fly about a 13lb plane and still have enough power to hover it. So a 100" IMAC model just isn't in the realm of the YS motor. If YS made a 100cc gas motor man alive would everybody want one. Mr. Yamada knows how to make Horsepower!

It is my understanding that Mr. Yamada used to work at Honda back in the old days when the small Honda motors were revolutionary in motor cycles, smaller compact cars and so on.

As for Fun fly planes the YS 63 is probably the ultimate power plant for any 46 sized model. Its got tremendous power and without a weight problem. The Flip 3D's, Madness, and other 3D funfly planes like the Hover Cobra, Magic, Razor, and UCD 46 are perfect models for the 63

I have seen YS 140Sport,s and 140L's run scale models up to 15-17lbs and depending on the plane it will fly them but you will not have the extra power.

Now Heli's YS has a good foothold with the different motors they offer including a 91 4stroke Heli motor.

YS engines are probably the best model motors produced today.

I can choose any motor I want to run and I choose the YS motors above others because of the quality and performance. Here in recent years the 2cycle motors have taken a foothold in the lower classes of pattern flying. They make tons of power and tend to give a less experienced flyer a warm fuzzy feeling. They will make good power on 15% nitro and even not setup correctly they will make big power....I have run them from the OS EFI, to the Webra with mixture control carbs. With other in between.

I prefer the YS 4 strokes because they perform better. So the main reason YS dominates Pattern and not other forms is because they focus on pattern models and pattern type setups. Because of this focus the motors do the job the best....The bigger models just will have to wait for YS to produce bigger motors if ever.

Troy Newman