Monokote help provided!

Terry Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Thu Mar 18 02:28:19 AKST 2004

I am in the same boat as Andre', not an xpert, but I have beeen using the
stuff for 35 years. I used MK for the first time back in 1969 in Viet
Nam!!

I keep hearing about the formation of bubbles! HOW?

If you use a very simple technique, you should NEVER have bubbles.

ONLY attach the monokote at the edges of the structure, or the edge of
the color if it does not extend to the edge of the structure.

Once the entire permiter has been sealed down, then it can be shrunk
using the gun and hot air, OK, now you will have ONE air bubble to get
rid of.

Poke two or three holes in one extreme end of the color you are working,
with a pin, or better yet, a sewing needle. I keep a needle installed in
a pin vise next to my covering board and use it thru-out the covering
process.

Now you can start heating the MK from the end opposite the holes. As the
material gets hot enough to activate the adhesive, go over the material
with a soft cloth. TF also sells a mitten that works very well. Just
continue to work the "bubble" toward the holes. If you happen to trap an
island bubble along the way, just prick one edge and seal it down again.

For those of you who saw my Synergy at the WRAMs show a few weeks ago,
you saw how tight the cover is. This plane was finished about a year ago,
flown all last summer, and I spent about 10 minutes touching up a few
minor wrinkles before taking it tothe show.

If you want to put MK over MK. Cut out the trim piece and lay it on the
base. Use the heat from your hand to get it to stay in position while
working out any trapped air. Then use your iron at a reduced heat
setting, about 200 degrees, and carefully working from one edge to the
other, you should not develop any more bubbles. If you do, reach for the
needle again.

It all goes back to what someone else said about having patience.

I have done my share of Ultrakote coverings, probably 20 or more, along
with over 200 MK, and I really prefer the MK. I cna more easily get good
edges, and I too like the shiny colors. The UK is a little easier to work
around compound curves, but I don't have a problem with MK doing that.

Hope this helps a few of you. If you have any specific questions or
comments you can give me a call, or contact "off Line".

Terry T.