OT: Lost my computer :(

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 19:48:34 AKST 2004

Heavens to Betsy, my computer just crashed !!  Not exactly pattern related, but I will be email crippled for a week or so. I can read all my email through Yahoo, but will not be able to send mail from anything but this Yahoo account.

FWIW, I upgraded the CPU from an AMD XP2100, 266 FSB to an XP2600, 266 FSB, the fastest cpu my mobo can handle. System ran great for about two hours, then wham !, black screen !  I opened the case, the power supply smelled bad. Much to my horror I noticed two of the CPU regulator chips had actually gotten hot enough to soften the solder and slide until they touched some adjacent parts. Explains why the power supply smelled bad. This is a new one on me, I have never seen parts get hot enough to melt solder without self-destryong themselves first. Looks like the CPU regulators were not built to handle the extra power draw due to the speed. The XP2600 was not available when the mobo was designed.

I have a new mobo and power supply on order, but of course I cannot get an exact replacement, so I will be attempting to perform a "Repair Install" of Windows XP. Hopefully I can recover everything without having to install from scratch.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com
Do you Yahoo!?