FAI questions:

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Wed Mar 10 09:23:31 AKST 2004

Where does the Double I with full roll & 2/4 end?  How much straight line is
needed after the 2/4 to complete the maneuver?  Or, is the maneuver
completed when you pass the geometric end of the imaginary outline of the
maneuver.  Or, does it end once you pass center at the top of the box?
However, depending on roll rates, maneuver size, wind, etc, sometimes you
pass center before or after the 2/4.  Also, the upcoming maneuver, the
Goldfish, is a real box-eater (no dirty jokes please).  So, the sooner you
complete the Double I the easier it is to keep the goldfish in the box.
I've been waiting about a 2-thousand count before pulling down to start the
Goldfish.

The same situation comes up with the square loop.  Where does the square
loop end?  How much straight line is needed after the final 2/4?  Because
the upcoming ½ Reverse Cuban 8 with full roll is a real box-eater, you could
easily pull up and start the maneuver before reaching what was the first
radii of the square loop (wind, roll rates, etc).

If you try to fly this pattern over the poles, you need to know these
things.  At 200 + meters, the questions go away.

Thanks,

Jim W.

James R. Woodward

Airborne Icing Tanker (AIT)