Pattern flying observations

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 12:28:55 AKST 2004

 Let me try that again. Flying in a straight line is often very difficult and essential to generating top scores. Thanks, Mike

mike mueller <mups1953 at yahoo.com> wrote: Good point. I think this is what the hardest thing to master. Mike

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP <James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil> wrote:
Hi All,

I wanted to pass along an observation about flying that may seem obvious to some, but time & time again amazes me.  In D7 we've already had two contests.  The best flyers in each class (sportsman, intermediate, advanced, Masters, FAI) fly the fundamental element of our equation the best - straight and level flight.  You can't escape it...  Resistance is futile...  If you are having problems with your sequence (who among us does not?) take a weekend and practice straight & level flight at low, mid, and top of the box with some simple turnaround maneuvers and a friend standing beside you calling wing low/high/ whatever.  Then work into flying the sequence with some one calling wing low/high throughout each maneuver.  I recently went through this and it provided a whole new look.  The result is that I also needed to relearn most of the rudder corrections because I had worked into a habit of having the inside wing low.  The sequence is getting better now and I'm very glad a friend and I
 stripped the flying down to this fundamental.  If we don't learn this, we will never reach our potential.

Jim W.