Coupler Size for Mintor Header/Pipe

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Wed Mar 3 08:29:51 AKST 2004

Okay - my experience has been -
    a.  Between end of header and beginning of pipe - not more than 3/8";  1/4" is better.
    b.  Tunnel ventilation - at least 1/4" around the pipe along it's entire length, with more airspace the better.  Inlet opening (nose) at least 1.5" x 2" directly in front of the cylinder head, then a "scoop" directing air at the main bearing area of the crankcase.  Exits in the belly pan need to be at least twice the inlet area;  I try to make sure there is more exit airspace than needed, as that seems to help reduce overheating on the ground.  The exit airspace should be as close as practicable to the stinger end of the pipe.

This info is just my experience....running 2 strokes with up to 30% nitro in pattern planes.
    Less airspace around pipe, and smaller entry/exit holes = shorter bearing life, plug life, pipe life (Bolly's), and coupler life (all brands).  More air moving along the pipe and out the back is a "good thing".

Bob Pastorello, Oklahoma
NSRCA 199, AMA 46373
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net