OS1.40 Pipe > Couplers

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Mon Mar 1 07:50:43 AKST 2004

There are two problems using teflon. The first is that it is not very
elastic, nor flexable. If you try to muscle this type onto a CF inlet tube
you risk breaking the inlet tube. Second is that teflon cold flows. This
means that a tight fit will become a loose fit....at room temperature over
time. Exhaust temps make this happen faster. The 4stroke versions of this
that I have seen were metal to metal and a spring loaded clamp on the
teflon to compensate for the cold flow problem.
I know that everyone will now say heat the teflon to get it on the inlet,
but that is "cold flowing " the material. Gotta have a spring clamp to
make it seal good.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering