cf tubes

RUDDERCABL at aol.com RUDDERCABL at aol.com
Sat Jun 26 19:12:56 AKDT 2004

In a message dated 6/26/2004 10:37:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
randy10926 at comcast.net writes:
What holds the PVC in place?  Any glue or solvent?

I saw this at the Barks contest.  Really looked neat
Nothing. No glue or anything. The PVC must be sqeezed to slip it into the
tube. Once in the tube it tries to expand back to its natural size and stays in
place.

I learned this trick from Gerry Dale before carbon fiber tubes were the norm.
Works equaly well on aluminum tubes.

Have even made fast repairs to striped out aluminum tubes at contest by
cutting off a small piece of PVC tubing from a model stand and using it.

This is one of the ultimate K.I.S.S. ideas I have seen. It is simple, easy
and economical (cheap). It holds the wing screw like a locknut and spreads the
forces over a larger area of the tube than just around the screw hole. It is
light and easily repairable if need be.

Robert Gainey