Zn Line Gear

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Wed Jun 16 06:40:29 AKDT 2004

Anthony

The question is do you want a pretty repair or one that will last?

Most of the gear I have seen, and I have not seen a ZN Line gear, is
unidirectional "airfoil" halves glued together. This is a very poor
composite design, but is easy and cheap to make. Over flexing of the gear
(poor landings) exceeds the shear strength of the resin matrix, which is
thousands of times weaker than the fiber.The pretty repair involves
re-glueing. If you are going to do this epoxy will work much better than
CA, but of course takes more time and effort.
The permenant repair (mo'ugly) involves taking a fiberglass yarn (unravel
some fabric) and wrap it under tension (after re glueing the split) 90
degrees to the uni carbon. The more tension without breaking the yarn the
better. You can use CA for this application as it will never get
overstressed and it will help you be able to wrap with tension as you drip
thin CA on the fiber.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering