Curious OS 1.40 RX Problem

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Jun 15 09:52:40 AKDT 2004

John Fuqua has been running an OS 1.40 RX is a Focus with absolutely no
problems for two years.  A month ago he finished a Panacea and
installed a new OS 1.40 RX that he'd broken in and flown on his old
Focus.  Everything was fine in the new Panacea until a week ago.  The
engine ran fine on the ground, but at varying times airborne, the
engine would quit rich at full throttle.  We tried a number of things
until we leaned out the idle mixture.  The problem went away.  I can
understand any number of reasons why an engine will go lean, but causes
of going rich are on a short list.  Does anyone have a clue what caused
this problem?

BTW, leaning out the idle mixture caused the engine to be at a higher
RPM in the mid-throttle settings and John had to redo the transmitter
throttle curve to get the throttle response the way he wanted it.

Ron Van Putte