Cool Power

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Jun 10 18:55:05 AKDT 2004

On Jun 10, 2004, at 9:35 PM, Rcmaster199 at aol.com wrote:

> One more thought on this issue. Some folks (my good friend Nat Penton,
> for example) do virtually nothing to their engines after the running
> is done for the day. This procedure works fine as long as the lay-up
> time between runs isn't prolonged. If you fly 3 or 4 times a week, run
> the engine off peak and run it on the fat side, there's little point
> in an after run procedure.
>
>  But if you are like me and lay it up for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, then
> an after run method that works is a must, or you will be changing
> bearings alot. So which is right? Both are, depending on your
> situation

Boy!  Do I agree with this, but for a different reason.  I run a Y.S.
1.40L and for years I was reluctant to run the engine dry.  I leave my
airplane in my van all the time and I discovered that, in the summer
heat, the conditions inside van caused the fuel in the line next to the
carburetor to evaporate, leaving almost pure oil at the fuel nipple.
Sometimes it was so thick that I had to remove the fuel line from the
carburetor and 'milk' the slug of oil out of the line, before I could
get enough fuel in the engine so it would start.  Taking John Fuqua's
advice, I started running the engine dry at the end every flying
session and have never had the problem again.

Ron Van Putte